ALAMEDA FOOD BANK – POSITION AVAILABLE
The Alameda Food Bank (AFB) began operating in 1977 from a closet at Twin Towers Methodist Church providing monthly emergency food to an average of ten local families in need. Today, we serve nearly 5000 low-income individuals in the City of Alameda. The AFB is an independent full service pantry-style hunger relief program and the only source of free groceries in town. An average family using all of our programs can receive over half of their monthly groceries. Last year we distributed over 1.4 million pounds of groceries.
The Program Manager (PM) is responsible for the successful implementation of the daily food distribution programs of the AFB. The PM manages all aspects of volunteer staffing and client experience while ensuring that food is safely and efficiently distributed, supplies effectively utilized and facilities safely maintained. The PM provides on-site supervision of all week-day distributions and participates in Board committee meetings as needed. This is a full time, exempt position and reports to the Executive Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recruits, trains, assigns/schedules and supervises volunteer workforce. Manages volunteer database and website volunteer postings
- Provides leadership for volunteer workforce; maintains open communication to keep volunteers informed and motivated
- Ensures the safe conduct of volunteers, including the appropriate handling of perishable foods
- Organizes annual volunteer appreciation party
- Identifies volunteer performance problems and coaches for improvement; reassigns or recommends termination when necessary
- Sets an example for volunteers in providing customer service that result in a positive food bank experience for clients. Keeps clients informed of schedule, policy and procedural changes.
- Monitors client conduct and intervenes where necessary to ensure a safe and respectful environment for all clients, volunteers and staff
- Proposes appropriate improvements to the client experience
- Prepares monthly client metrics and USDA reports
- Receives food deliveries and manages inventory circulation; transfers inventory between facilities when necessary.
- Determines daily distribution allotments to clients based on available inventory, anticipated client volume.
- Maintains a working knowledge of pantry inventory levels; identifies problem areas and initiates corrections to ensure available inventory is adequate for daily program needs.
- Works collaboratively with the AFB Warehouse Manager and warehouse staff to assure smooth daily flow of inventory
- Oversees the general condition of the distribution center; supervises cleaning, recycling and building safety. Proposes capital and procedural improvements when needed.
- Orders and maintains stock of general supplies (e.g., administrative, cleaning)
- Minimum two years college required; college graduate preferred
- Minimum two years operations management experience
- Minimum two years supervisory experience, particularly the supervision of volunteers
- Must have a high level of organization and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills: listening, verbal and written
- Strong customer service skills, including conflict resolution
- Ability to solve problems in an ever-changing environment; high degree of flexibility and adaptability
- Must be able to deal effectively, politely, and interact productively with all types of people from all types of backgrounds and experience and in all types of situations. Comfortable working with non-English speaking and culturally diverse clients.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive) and ability to learn new programs when needed
- Must be able to endure a physically demanding job: lift 50 lbs. on a regular basis; stand for long periods of time; accommodate to a varying work schedule.
- Clean DMV record
- Food Safety background
- Social Media experience
Salary depends upon experience. Hiring range is $46,000 – $53,000. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and vacation pay.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. The Alameda Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer.